Monday, May 24, 2010

"The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner"
Randall Jarrell

This is the definition of saying a lot with a small amount of words. Randall Jarrell conveys a depressing image of the life of a member of the armed forces.
The opening line had me hooked. "From my mother's sleep I fell into the State". At first, it appears insignificant. That is, until you realize why he chose to capitalize "State". He is referencing the government. He fell into the hands of the government and could not pry himself from its grips.
"And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze". I love the metaphor and personification there. He is giving life to the plane referring to his placement as in its stomach. He then goes on to seemingly compare himself to an animal. He could also be referencing his attire, but it seems more like he is calling himself an animal as well with the fur comment. Soldiers have been known to feel like animals and use the instinct to kill.
"Six miles from earth, loosed from the dream of life". He's obviously referencing being high in the sky here in an airplane. He's also making a somewhat cynical comment about how he no longer can pursue a normal life.
Throughout the poem, he makes you feel heavy emotion. But the final line is so incredible. "When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose". Truly stunning. He is trying to explain how expendable he feels. As a soldier, you are merely supposed to follow orders. If you are killed in action, you are simply replaced by another person. It's almost as if no one cares but your family and friends back home. One dies. Bring in the next. It's really depressing to think about, but it's reality. And I'm glad Jarrel brought this to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment