Monday, May 24, 2010


The Addict

"The Addict" by Anne Sexton is likely my favorite piece of literature we've read so far this quarter. Anne Sexton composes an amazing poem all while conveying her struggles with addiction and suicide. The poem seems angry and apathetic at the same time. That is one of the reasons why it is so intriguing.
The poem instantly grabbed my attention with the first two words: Sleepmonger and Deathmonger. It's the perfect juxtaposition of addiction. Sleep is something we covet. We need it to survive and for our general well being. At the same time, her vice is a peddler of death. Which one outweighs the other? Maybe the sleep she is referring to is permanent.
I love the fact that this is littered with metaphors. She makes some powerful statements as she draws comparisons between her addiction and a mother, a ceremony, a "musical tennis match", and a marriage. The drugs take care of her and provide her companionship that no one else can match.
There are two lines that sum up this poem for me: "I like them more than I like me" and "Now I'm borrowed. Now I'm numb".
Drug addiction is commonly a way to cope with underlying issues that one has. It's obvious she struggles with confidence and a love for herself. It's sad, but so powerful.
The second line is what I believe separates true addicts from thrill seekers. Sure, you can be addicted to the "high", but the numbness is the achievement of a true addict. Once you no longer want to feel anything and use drugs as a coping mechanism, you have crossed the proverbial line.
My favorite thing about this poem is that Anne Sexton wrote this in a time when it was not only unpopular, but frowned upon, to speak about such personal and controversial matters. She did not blink an eye though. She was so willing to put her demons out there. I respect that more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment